Last week at CLPR – 30th April to 5th May 2018
In association with Alternative Law Forum, Amnesty India, CIEDS Collective, Enfold India, Hidden Pockets, PUCL, Prochild Coalition, Campaign Against Death Penalty for Child Rape and SICHREM, CLPR organised a town hall meeting on 5th May 2018 at the Jain University Auditorium to discuss the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance 2018.
- On Day 36 of the Aadhaar Act case, K.K. Vengupal argued that Aadhaar Bill was correctly passed as a Money Bill. He also clarified that the Union would follow the Supreme Court’s directions in not mandating the linking of Aadhaar card and SIM card. Mr. Shyam Divan resorted to a UIDAI technical paper to explain the extent of surveillance which the Aadhaar Programme is capable of.
- The Supreme Court of India in April 2018 delivered significant judgments and held hearings on other matters.
- Two ‘Court by Numbers’ were put up on the website:
- In 2017, the Supreme Court struck down a statute or a part of a statute as being unconstitutional in 5 cases.
- 57 is the total number of reported Review Petitions in the Supreme Court since its inception. The review petition filed by Centre and States in Kashinath Mahajan v Maharashtra will be 58th Review Petition decision by the Supreme Court.
- We highlighted 2 opinion pieces under the ‘Beyond the Court’ section.
- Anup Surendranth, Aparna Chandra, Suchindran Baskar Naryan write on the Centre-Collegium controversy in a piece titled – Ball’s in Supreme Court.
- Rohan Venkaramakrishnan of the Scroll writes on the Centre’s flip-flop on the Aadhaar-SIM linking issue.
- Satya Prasoon and Ashwini Tallur from CLPR wrote Supreme Court and the making of the ‘Love-Jihad’ Case, an opinion piece for The Citizen.
- Judges– Biography of Justice Indu Malhotra was added.