Last week at CLPR:
- Several CSO’s have filed Writ petitions in the Karnataka High Court in opposing the Draft Revised Master Plan 2031 for Bengaluru which was published in November 2017. Sudhir Krishnaswamy and Matthew Idiculla wrote a briefing note clarifying the roles and responsibilities of the BDA, BBMP and the MPC (Metropolitan Planning Committee) with respect to the drafting the Draft RMP 2031.
- The PIL filed by Jayna Kothari and Disha Chaudhari in the Andhra Pradesh High Court challenging the constitutional validity of the Telangana Eunuchs Act, 1919 was heard on 27th February 2018. The High Court issued notice to the State of Telangana directing the authorities to file a response to the petition within 3 weeks.
- A Talk on the Judicial Crisis, hosted by The Platform for Popularizing the Constitution of India & St. Joseph’s College, was held on 2nd March 2018. Jayna Kothari, was 1 of the 4 speakers, who discussed the issues highlighted by the 4 senior-most Supreme Court Justices in the Press Conference they held on 12th January 2018.
- Assembly Member of the week: B. Shiva Rao, a prominent journalist and Constituent Assembly Member was born on 26th February 1891. He worked as a correspondent in the Hindu and the Manchester Guardian. In independent India he served as a parliamentarian in both the Houses of Parliament.
- Contemporary Relevance of CAD: The last post in the 3-part series on the Presentation of the Budget, details the final amendments discussed before the adoption of Draft Article 92. 8 months after the Article was adopted the first Union Budget of the Republic of India was presented by John Mathai on 28th February 1950.
SCObserver: The Court was closed for the Holi Holidays from 26th February to 2nd March. The team will resume coverage of the Aadhaar Act case from 6th March 2018.