- Students from St.Joseph’s College of Law attended a workshop on Religion and Personal Lawsthat delved into the Triple Talaq case using SCObserver and the Uniform Civil Code debates from CADIndia.
- Ananthasayanam Ayyangar, was the Deputy Speaker of the Constituent Assembly and the 2ndSpeaker of the Lok Sabha. We remember him on 19th March, his 40th death anniversary.
- In the 2nd post, in the 3 part series on the Salth March, we cover the Constituent Assembly Debate on whether the Indian Constitution should contain a clause explicitly banning taxation on salt.
- We continued reporting on the Aadhaar Act case. Petitioners finished their arguments on 20thMarch, Day 19 of the case. Jayna Kothari argued on behalf of Swatantra, a NGO that supports Transgender Rights.
- K.K. Venugopal, the Attorney General of India, began the respondents’ arguments on the next day. He argued that this case was more about the balancing of rights than the violation of rights.
- On the 21st day of arguments the UIDAI CEO, Ajay Bhushan, presented about the Aadhaar Architecture and emphasized the security of the agencies, instruments and services that enabled this architecture.
- In the Ayodhya Title Dispute case Rajeev Dhavan strongly recommended that the verdict in the Ismail Farooqui case be re-examined. In particular the verdicts that the mosque was not integral to Islam and that the State had the right to acquire.
- ASG Tushar Mehta refuted the claim made by Prashant Bhushan that Rohingyas were being denied access to basic services like health and education. Colin Gonsalves alleged conditions in the refugee camps were abysmal leading to deaths, prompting the Court to order the Union of India to submit a report on the camps.